Sunday, November 3, 2013

You know, John, I think a key part of the question that you raise comes down to who we consider our "consumers."  Are they the students?  If so, I truly can't understand the resistance, because the students that I speak with (granted, a somewhat self-selected group) would support a change that embraces diversity. 

Is it the parents?  They are often the ones who pay the bills, so I can see a practical argument to be made for considering their views -- though ultimately, I think we should focus on serving the student, both in terms of ideals and practicalities (a student who isn't happy here won't stay, regardless of mom and dad's thoughts). 

What I wonder about -- or worry about? -- is whether we are also shaping our policies to fit the views (or our assumptions about the views) of some of our major donors.  I certainly don't want to paint with a broad brush or make unwarranted accusations; I don't know any of our major donors, and I don't know their views on this or any other issue.  But I can't help but wonder if concerns about offending them, especially in an era when we can no longer expect much support from the state, factor into this discussion.  Once again, I guess I could understand the practicality in such an approach, but I think ultimately it could cost us in terms of our retention of a diverse student body.

No comments:

Post a Comment